A Late Sunday #ROW80 Check In

Something has to change. As seems to be the pattern at the moment, I did no writing over the weekend. The thing that’s changed, and made me realise that something has to change, is that I didn’t even think about writing.

Usually I think I should do some, but then get distracted by this or that or the other. This weekend, it didn’t even cross my mind. Not even when I saw Kait’s Check-In email (although I read that stupidly early in the morning, so maybe it’s not surprising).

I just don’t know how I’ve managed to get myself into this situation. It’s like I just don’t have any motivation to even think about writing. And I’m supposed to be finishing ‘Holiday’ by the end of October, and deciding if I’m doing NaNo (probably) and getting an idea for that. What’s wrong with me?

It’s possible it’s because there’s a lot of other stuff going on at the moment, nothing mega really, but enough to keep my mind occupied. Maybe I’m just making excuses. But if I am – why am I having to?

I don’t know if I’m enjoying writing ‘Holiday’ as much as I have done before, but then I’m really writing filler bits at the moment (last week I finished a filler scene). Maybe I need to jump to something exciting to get me back into it and get me motivated. I’ve only written the first chapter in note form, so I could jump on that one straight away.

I know I’ve got lots to fill in – the start, a bit after a funeral, this, the other, and I think I feel like I should go back and fill them before I move on towards the end – I probably think this because I don’t really know what’s going to happen in the last quarter of the novel. That worries me, but I think I should just go with it. I was worried about the scene I just finished, but that ended up going really well.

I’ve got a semi idea for a NaNo novel. Not really as much as an idea, but maybe a spark of an idea. I need to think it through, because it’s really only one scene and that’s it, but I like the character, she could be fun to play with. But, I want to spend my time writing ‘Holiday’ not planning a novel that I may or may not write. At least this is one good thing, at lease I WANT to spend my time on ‘Holiday,’ now, if I could just make the move towards DOING!

I’ve just finished my lunch break… but maybe I’ll spend another 10 minutes on it, and do some writing!

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “A Late Sunday #ROW80 Check In

  1. I think most of us go through cycles, which is why so many writers think that they can write only with inspiration. Others (like me) think that one can write without inspiration, or we’d never get through university, lol.

    What I do is try to keep writing, even if it is a blog post, or morning pages or just venting about something. As long as I can write about something, I usually find I can go back and get unstuck.

    I can’t give any advice about NaNo–just can’t do it. I think it’s a shame you can’t work on Holiday for it, but then, that is part of the reason I can’t do NaNo. I think it is a good sign that you still want to write it, so hang on to that!

    Wishing you a good week!

  2. Don’t feel guilty for not thinking about writing 24/7. The horrible secret about honing any craft is that only about 20% of the time is spent on the really fun stuff. The other 80% is work. It’s okay to jump to something fun and easy to get yourself fired up, but remember, the work will still needs to be done. It’s also okay to only do the fun stuff, but overall, that’s not going to get you very far. The trick is not minding the work and not getting burnt out by it. Take weekends off, loose yourself in your day job (if you have one), but when it’s time to sit down and write, sit down and write.

    (And I totally need to take my own advice on this. Too much of my sitting and writing has been just sitting. *wince*)

  3. I find it hard too to write when the bit I am writing doesn’t excite me. I really REALLY hope you do NaNo and I hope you get some writing ‘excitement’ this week.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s